Behind the Scenes of Issue 94
Fusion of hobbies, reunion, quick news, new vendors & coupons, meetups, donors.
Published September 9, 2022
It seems this week was about the fusion of different hobbies. A keyboard case made of old skateboard decks, a modular keyboard case system inspired by R/C cars of the 90s, the Commodore bass guitar, symbology? I like that.
In addition, I had a high school reunion which kicked me out for a few days so excuse me if I missed some of your emails and haven't got back to you yet… :D
Welcome back for another edition of Keyboard Builders' Digest (this time Issue #94), a weekly roundup of this DIY keyboard focused newsletter and blog from Tamas Dovenyi – that's me. If you are new to this, you can read how this started out and what this is all about nowadays. If you like what you see, you can subscribe to the newsletter (free) and donate some bucks to keep this otherwise free and ad-free project alive.
Quick news & links:
- Cyboard moved from New York to Philadelphia.
- The first real-life photos of the Moonlander Platform are already emerging (related post).
Spreading the news
Thanks to all who reached out with tips and suggestions. I try to answer to all the inquiries but I may have missed some of them this time.
Namely, I had high school reunion last weekend and spent the next few days with regeneration… :D Five of us idiots came up with the great idea of staying up all night, chatting about the big questions of life until daybreak, lying on the ground of a vineyard hill and watching shooting starts. Because next day I had to drive home, and I had stuff to do until next evening, I managed to stay up for two consecutive days without a single minute of sleep.
Anyway, it was a great experience but even after 4-5 days, I still can feel the lack of sleep. So don't do this very often, kids.
The good news: All my former classmates are now enlightened and know full well what a custom mechanical keyboard is. And I was praiseworthly controlled, no long monologues, oversharing, and only one girl rolled her eyes. :D
The subheading is a reference to an upcoming artisan project but for now it indicates the "small developments" chapter going on behind the scenes:
- Delta Key was so diligent that Guillaume sent me his shop's details on the very day of founding (I like this!) – breaking my script highlighting shops founded on the actual day (shop cake days). The issue is fixed now, and zero-day shops are not congratulated for their 0 year anniversary anymore.
- I try to extend keyboard meetup entries with follow-up links to videos and galleries. Multiple galleries to the same meetup was something new this week so I had to update the script to handle this.
Some updates of the vendor database:
- New discounts: Delta Key Co. added, and Guillaume offered you a 5% discount on your first order (code: KBDNEWS).
- Cyboard's Erik offered you a $10 discount (code: KBDNEWS).
- TaikoHub's David offered you free shipping to US+CA when using the KBDNEWS coupon code.
For many more discounts check out my list of coupons.
I have anecdotal evidence of a Malaysian meetup on Oct. 1st(?) maybe in Penang? Can't access the discord channel though, so feel free to get back to me with more details if you know more about this event.
As already told, I think of this meetup database both as a calendar and an archive so send me upcoming events or even ones from the recent past to make this collection comprehensive.
One recurring donor left, another one joined: thanks eighty58five!
And Chad, who decided to bump up his monthly donation.
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your support! This allows me to do more and new stuff, like the interview with Pekaso which I try to turn into a series of similar interviews.
That's all for today. Thanks for reading.
Feel free to comment in this issue's r/mk thread, and as always: keep learning and building.
Published on Fri 9th Sep 2022. Featured in KBD #94.