Magnetic layout prototypingGoing low profile: adjustable keyboard with magnets by key-yack.
This small experiment by key-yack was put together to try out low profile switches with different layouts:
- Split keyboard using ProMicros
- Head PCB with ProMicro is reusable for other projects
- Up to 7x4 choc switches (hot swap) on each side, 18x17mm spacing
- All the columns can be moved around freely, attached to a steel base using magnets
- Using ribbon cables to connect everything
First results and takeaway:
- Choc brown switches are surprisingly heavy
- gChoc switches can be triggered by looking at them too hard
- 18 mm horizontal spacing is too narrow for comfort, but low vertical spacing is nice!
The PCBs used were probably the low profile versions of these Zebras by nezumee:
Another similar modular adjustable PCB project is the P4 by saoto28:
And the SU120 by e3w2q:
Published on Sat 4th Sep 2021. Featured in KBD #42 (source).